The Geneva Center of Concern
Since its beginning in 1972, the Geneva Center of Concern has provided assistance to individuals, households, and families in and around the city of Geneva, New York who have fallen upon hard times with no place else to turn. The Center acts as a safety net, a sympathetic ear, and provides a helping hand, to address critical human needs, shore up the spirits, bolster the hopes, and affirm dignity and a sense of worth for the people it serves. Food, clothing, social service referrals, and many other resources are provided to support people through difficult times and help them to improve their lives.
The Geneva Center of Concern serves those in need throughout the year in numerous ways. Primary programs that are organized and overseen by the Director and Assistant to the Director together with assistance from many exceptional volunteers include:
- A Food Pantry that provides food on a scheduled basis to needy individuals and families. Sources of food include federal programs such as Food Link and numerous donations from local farms, food companies, local citizens and grocery stores. In 2019 the Pantry distributed food to 3,126 families representing 8765 individuals, thereby providing enough for 78,885 meals.
- A Thrift Store stocked with clothing and household items that are sold at very low prices. Individuals and families facing severe hardship receive clothing and other household necessities without charge. In 2019, 179 Thrift Store vouchers (totaling $3,228 worth of merchandise) were provided to needy individuals with emergency needs. Income earned from the Store helps to purchase food for the Pantry and to cover other operational costs of the Center.
- Emergency assistance of various forms was provided to 378 individuals in 2019.
- Annually, Operation Merry Christmas, provides families with gifts for children and food to prepare a Holiday meal. In 2019, 734 individuals received food and gifts for family members ranging from infant to age 18.
- A scholarship program for needy local high school students. This program continues to grow; currently three $1000 scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis annually .
58 Avenue D
Geneva, NY 14456
THRIFT STORE HOURS
Monday ..... 10AM–3PM
Tuesday ..... 10AM–3PM
Wednesday ..... 10AM–3PM
Thursday ..... 10AM–3PM
Friday ..... 10AM–3PM
Saturday ..... 10AM–12:30PM
Sunday ..... Closed
FOOD PANTRY HOURS